Maldon-Dombarton Freight link revived

Posted March 16th, 2019 by admin and filed in 南京夜网论坛
Comments Off on Maldon-Dombarton Freight link revived

Wollondilly MP Jai Rowell announced a $21 million funding injection into the long- awaited Maldon-Dombarton Freight line. Picture suppliedTHE Illawarra could be seeing another resurrection of the controversially abandoned Maldon-Dombarton Rail Freight line, following announcements of a multimillion-dollar funding injection.
Nanjing Night Net

Last week, member for Wollondilly Jai Rowell announced $21million had been secured from the NSW budget for the partially-completed freight line linking Port Kembla (Dombarton) and the Southern Highlands (Maldon).

The 34.9kilometre rail project was first imagined in 1979 to free up the passenger rail line by providing a freight line from Port Kembla. Construction began in 1983 but the project was shelved by the state government in 1988.

The NSW Freight and Ports Strategy estimated a cost of $667million to complete the rail line, which would include 35kilometres of standard gauge track, two passing loops, new bridges over the Nepean and Cordeaux Rivers and one of Australia’s longest tunnels.

The $21million is intended to go toward a Registration of Interest (ROI) process to gauge the private sector’s interest in constructing the remaining sections of the line.

Mr Rowell said the funding was a “significant step forward” for the project which would assist in catering for the forecasted doubling of freight movements over the next 20 years.

Earlier this month the project was flagged in the top three of the Illawarra’s “game changing” infrastructure projects in the Regional Development Australia (RDA) Illawarra’s transport wish list.

A Transport for NSW spokesperson said that in the past year, the NSW Government had spent $21million to get the proposed freight line ‘‘shovel ready’’ for potential construction.

“The government has successfully completed detailed engineering, operational and environmental investigations and stakeholder consultations to understand the complexities and scope of works required,” the spokesperson said.

“This work has now enabled the government to open a ROI process.”

Member for Kiama Gareth Ward said the private sector was “best placed” to drive the project and would generate jobs and business in the region.

The ROI process is open from October 13 until February 24 next year.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.